Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Dreaded 3 Hour OGTT

Monday of the 28th week was the dreaded 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I wouldn't have normally been dreading it because it is what it is, but having a really big interview right afterwards made it a bit more stressful than it needed to be. I didn't quite realize what I could have been getting into when I scheduled them back to back (after spending an hour reading horror stories online), and by Sunday night when I did a little research it was too late to reschedule. With my 1 hour test, I had the lemon-lime flavor (which was room temperature), and for the 3 hour my only option was the Fruit Punch (which was cool this time, so that was very nice). I'm thinking I like the Fruit Punch better because I never really had any problem with it (there were just a couple times drinking the lemon lime that I thought it could come back up).

Before I drank the glucola my blood sugar was 75 so I passed and was able to take the test(has to be less than 95 to continue).

And here are the results of my 3 hour test:
1 hr post drink - 151 (had to be less than 180 - passed it)
2 hr post - 175 (had to be less than 155 - failed it)
3 hr post - 123 (had to be less than 140 - passed this one...phew!)

If I would have passed the first 2 hours I wouldn't have had to do the 3rd hour, but like anything goes, I didn't and had to sweat it out an extra hour. Not to mention, because the nurse was 20 minutes late getting me started, I ended up being late to my interview. Luckily my OB knew the doctor well that I was interviewing with and called him and told them that it was their fault...and they were completely understanding. But nothing like showing up to your dream job interview completely disheveled (this is an understatement) and not feeling the greatest.

I brought a huge lunchbox full of snacks to take immediately after my last blood sugar reading was taken (hint from my dad to avoid bottoming out and feeling crappier) but didn't end up having time to each much. It was a rough 18 hours of fasting/feeling yucky and then having an interview and having to go to work right after all of that!

Needless to say, I survived and PASSED! Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment